June 15, 2012 in SBI Announcements
Hello!! So glad you stopped by! I’ve been impatiently waiting for today to arrive so I can share my vision for Sweet Banana Ink with you!
First of all, let me say that SBI is an entirely fun based volunteer gig. No obligation. No membership fees. No nada. In a nutshell, it's a great big Book Lover, Word Hoarder and Ink Slinger's Playground.
You see, via twitter, I have been fortunate enough to fall into the company of some very bright and generous creative souls [ John Magnet Bell, Terre Britton and Anna Meade ]. Rubbing elbows with them planted the seed for my interest in and pursuit of creative community.
This spring, the delightful Angie Richmond rolled out her awesome 22 Things Challenge. Entry #16 in my list was: Make time to support and encourage fellow writers. This was the seed taking root.
So, when I started bumping into writers in the twitterverse who didn't have their own blogs, I began dreaming up a way to help them find a writing home. I ran the idea of a group blog past my sister Jules, and she ran it by her pal Bliss and by the time we got around to talking it out all together, my vision had changed from a group blog to a writing community blog. The result of that conversation lead to the birth of this blog, and thus, the seed came to fruition and blossomed.
There are still plenty of details to work out but here's what we have so far:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday = Posts By Team SBI
- Monday = Bliss
- Wednesday = Jules
- Fridays = Bullish
- Tuesdays and Thursdays = Community Engagement
- Weekdays = Community Posts
- Weekends = Friday Night Write (a music based writing prompt)
- Anyone and everyone is welcome to submit a piece of writing, an essay about writing, or a book review. Submission instructions are here.
- Submissions are expected to be complete and proof-read before they are forwarded to SBI.
- Submissions containing extreme language, graphic sex and hate-based content may be declined.
- Submissions will be posted in a 'first come first served' manner and posted as often as supply permits.
NOT SURE IF SBI IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you answer 'yes' to one or more of the following questions, there's a very good chance that you'll enjoy the SBI community!
Sweet Banana is right for you if:
- You don’t have a blog but want to share something you’ve written
- You have a blog post or story that you’d like to give a second chance
- You want to announce a writing event
- You want to plug your book
- You want to share an essay on the craft
- You want to join a blog hop but don't have a blog to post on
- You’d like to get a ‘blind’ critique from your community of peers
- You’d like to give a review of a favorite fiction book
- You’d like to give a review of a favorite book on the craft
- You’d like to share a story or post that doesn’t fit the criteria of your own blog
IN CLOSING, at the heart of Sweet Banana Ink, is a love of reading and writing, and the hope that we can foster and perpetuate that love in a fun, educational and thriving community atmosphere.